Friday 10 August 2007

Bad news just keeps on coming

I was going to write a post about the uninspiring US retail sales figures for July but then I got distracted by the news that Goldman Sachs (GS) $9 billion Global Alpha hedge fund got bitch slapped 12% in the two weeks ending August 3rd.

However if I write about that I wouldn't have time to comment on the SEC's probe into the major brokerage houses to see if they are hiding losses in the subprime mortgage meltdown. Also I wouldn't be able to talk about the $43 billion in loan deals pulled in past two weeks.

Nor could I talk about the massive injection of funds by central banks in an attempt to provide some liquidity to the banking system or the pending law suit against D.R. Horton Inc. (DHI) which I believe could be just the beginning of a whole swathe of lawsuits against mortgage providers and the like yet to come.

So here are links to all those stories as I just can't keep up with the flow at the moment.

July was hot, but not for retailers

Goldman Hedge Fund gets whacked

SEC combs books of Wall Street giants for hidden losses

$43 billion in loan deals pulled in past two weeks

Central banks pump more cash into banking system

D.R. Horton sued for lending practices

2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

dhukka,

I believe GS are down 26% and are talking about liquidating it.

This may just be the usual rumour, but it comes from a fairly credible source.

jog on
grant

The Fundamental Analyst said...

Yeah saw that Grant. They are down 26% this calendar year and 40% from a year ago. The 12% loss was just in the last 2 weeks. More losses to come no doubt - bring it on!